Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Three Deaths and a Birth

I have this sick obsession with starting off a story with a death*. In this case, three. I have three main characters. The protagonist, the antagonist and the neutral narrator (the book). I decided a while back that all three should lose their fathers though at different stages of life and from different circumstances.

At this moment I have written the prologue/first chapter as the opening of a film. Curse modern technology and its influence on my writing style!

The antagonist, JD, will attend her father's execution. On the way home she will be passed by a speeding car housing our protagonist, Michael, who is on his way to the hospital for the death of his father. At the hospital, Michael will recieve a last gift from his father, a family heirloom. It is the mad raving diary of his mother. In here, Michael will read of the death of another man. An author who gave his life to create a book.

Yeah, I'm no Spielberg, but I'd watch it.

*side note: I once wrote a short story where the narrator commits suicide and the entire story is told in flash back as he dies. Don't ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment